Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Confessions of a Step-Mom

Okay…so I know this post may be controversial for some.  That is not my intent in any way. But if it can shed some light on a very difficult topic and help someone approach things a little differently, it will be worth it.  This is from the heart of a step-mom…the heart of a wife of a man who, in a perfect world that never sees divorce, shouldn’t be hers.   The heart of a woman who sees things in hindsight…but that is all it can ever be...hindsight.

I adore both of my step-children.  I love our time with them.  However, there is nothing easy about joint custody.  There is nothing easy about a child having two homes, two bedrooms, two ‘families’ and pretty much two of everything.  It is difficult for everyone involved.  As the adults, we only see one side of their world.  We either see Daddy’s home or Mommy’s home.  For anyone in a similar situation, until true forgiveness is granted between both parties, this set up will stir up anger and resentment and never be accepted as the next best option for divorced parents to get to lavish love on their children.  

I am a step-mom.  In my role, I can do nothing but ask for God’s direction and for Him to bestow wisdom onto me in a position where there is no easy fix…actually, there is no fix at all. 

As a step-mom and wife to someone’s ex-husband, there are a few things I have resolved to:

1. I do not communicate with my stepchildren’s mother except in situations that have a dire need to do so.  There are still a lot of negative emotions that would be stirred up if I tried to insert myself.  My responsibility is to my husband, my son and my step-children.  Keeping peace as far as it depends on me is crucial.

2. I support and encourage my husband as he communicates with his ex-wife.  Though hard to remember at times, it is not about me.  I pray someday, conversations will get easier.  I pray that God will be able to do what ONLY HE CAN DO.  Because I know only He can, it completely frees me from the pressure of trying to solve something I am completely incapable of solving. Because of the nature of their divorce and the consequences that are faced in daily life, it is best for me to do whatever I can to help and not hurrt.  In order to do so, the only communication necessary to do so only involves my husband.

3. I am not my stepchildren’s mother.  How insensitive it would be for me to not promote their relationship with their father and mother in our home.  I am Alli to them.  They know I love them like crazy…but I will never be their mother, nor will I ever have the same love for them that their mother has.  In our home, their relationship with members of ALL of their family is of utmost importance. 

I know there are step-moms out there who find themselves in a very different situation or outlook.  There are step-moms who are moms to their stepchildren because their biological mother has passed away or may no longer be involved.  There are step-moms who communicate with their step-children’s mother simply because it is the best way to keep peace and it truly works best for them. 

My main point, in our unique situation, is I cannot carry any sense of entitlement in our blended family.  I should not be the step-mother to my husband’s children.   I should not have become a wife to their mother’s ex-husband.  OUCH!  It pains me to even type out the truth. 

On the other hand, regardless of my past and what got me here.  I am a wife…I am a mommy…I am a step-mother…I am even an ex-wife from my own previous marriage.  There is absolutely nothing that can change these things.  So I press on.  There is no clear cut passage in scripture to give me step by step instructions on how to proceed.  But there is a God who loves me still.  He wants me to do everything I do for His glory.  Keeping peace with my family and all those they love is crucial for God to get any glory from here on out. 

My step-children will continue to see and feel the consequences of our sin.  I hate it…HATE it.  The thought of them facing the consequences for years to come literally repulses me.  Some days I think that maybe this whole joint custody is too hard.  They miss out on so many things.  Between church events, parties and other extracurricular activities…having a rotating schedule effects everyone.  I then sit back and see how passionate my husband is about all of his children.  He wants to be their Daddy and shows it, not just by his words, but by his actions.  He will drive three hours to see a thirty minute school program, or to spend five minutes being there for the first day of Kindergarten. He doesn’t want them to miss out on anything fun.  He doesn’t want them to live life without knowing their Daddy either. 

There is nothing about this life that is easy.  There are so many stress factors that will always exist.  I sincerely pray for peace, forgiveness, healing and ability for us all to take this horrific situation and make it work as best as we all can. 

My motives will most likely always be in question.  The heart behind what drives me to help my husband sort out the yucky details and modifications of joint custody may always be misunderstood.  But here is what I do know.  God holds every one of our hearts.  He holds my husband’s heart.  He holds my son’s heart.  He holds my step-daughter’s heart.  He holds my step-son’s heart.  He holds their mommy’s heart.  He holds my heart.  God knows every one of our inmost feelings.  I can trust Him to work everything out in His timing because I know it is our only hope. 

Until then…what is my responsibility? 
Fear the Lord.  Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.   Proverbs 31:30 
Keep my heart in check.  Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.  And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.  2 Timothy 2:22-24
Take care of my home and the people in it.  The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.  Proverbs 14:1 
Keep my husband from eyeing that corner of our roof ;-)  Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.  Proverbs 21:9 
Pursue peace.  Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.  If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.   Romans 12:16-18  
Press On Without Turning Back.  Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. [Following Paul’s Example ] All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you.  Philippians 3:13-15 
Pray about everything and for everyone involved. (Pray that God would help me to see and love others the way He sees and loves them.)  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  Philippians 4:6
In Christ alone, there is always hope and grace.  I am so thankful because I need both daily…life is too difficult to try and live without it!

No comments:

Post a Comment